Instructions for post-operative patients
- Your first post-operative check-up should be in 7-10 days, sooner if you are having problems. Please call the office at 703-858-5599 to schedule an appointment if you don’t have one already.
- After your procedure, you should gradually increase your activities. You will regain strength by limiting activities, rest, and time. Try to avoid straining or lifting heavy objects. You may take a walk and do light housework as soon as you feel up to it. You may climb steps as necessary but climb slowly and try to minimize the number of trips at first.
- You may drive a car if not taking narcotics, or under the effects of anesthesia and can step on the brakes without abdominal pain. You may take a stool softener for constipation as needed.
- You may take a shower or wash your hair as soon as desired.
- You may take a tub bath in 4 weeks. You should refrain from anything in the vagina including douching, tampons and intercourse for a minimum of 6 weeks, unless otherwise instructed.
- You may return to work as directed by the provider.
- It is normal to have some bleeding or discharge for several weeks.
- You may eat as tolerated. Start slowly and eat bland foods if nauseated.
- Please take Motrin 600mg orally every 6 hours for 24 hours as prescribed and then as needed. Use the prescribed narcotic medication as needed for breakthrough pain.
If problems or questions arise, please don’t hesitate to call at 703-858-5599.